General documents required to apply for a residence title
- Application form, filled in handwritten and signed before the authority;
Applications forms are available in German only and can be downloaded from the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior:
Download Antragsformular Aufenthaltsbewilligung (both for the first-time application, application for an extension or for a change of purpose)
Download information for the application form:
Erklärung zum Formular Aufentaltsbewilligung
- A valid travel document;
The website of the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs provides information as to which documents are accepted as travel documents. See further information here.
- Certificate of birth or equivalent (only for first-time applications);
- Photograph of the applicant;
- As appropriate: certificate of marriage, divorce order, certificate of registered partnership, certificate on the dissolution of a registered partnership, adoption certificate, evidence or certificate on the degree of relationship;
- Evidence of legal title to a customary accommodation, in particular lease or sub-lease, preliminary lease agreements, title of ownership;
- Proof of comprehensive all-risk health insurance that will pay out benefits in Austria, especially the insurance policy, unless mandatory statutory insurance is or will be applicable;
- Proof of secure livelihood, in particular by wage slip, wage confirmations, service contracts, preliminary employment contracts, confirmations on pension, annuity or other insurance benefits, statement on capital investments, proof of a sufficient amount of own assets, or declaration of liability.